517879_All New Spider-Man X-celeRacers Sneakers!

Blog Archive

Shop Barefoot Dreams at PerriBerri

Books I am reading

BlogUpp!

Generic Seeds- Garden Seeds Starting at $1.39
Privacy Policy . Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Grain Free Yellow Pepper Quiche Cup with Kale and Mozzarella

So I seem to have some free time this week with my kids off at Grandpa's for almost two weeks! How I got so lucky I don't know, but after the crazy last few weeks of getting ready for the end of school I was ready. When the kids are around I have to eat things that are more to their taste than mine, so when I am free from those limits, than anything can happen. :)
My kids run hot and cold about peppers so I can go a month with out getting to have much of their yummy goodness. I guess I'm on a pepper kick this week! Yesterday I made a soup today this, but  I can't help it, they lend themselves to so many recipes!!
I've had people on facebook asking for some grain free breakfast ideas, and I came across a baked egg in a pepper. Looked yummy, but how can I make that even better? A quiche would surely kick it up a notch right?
I looked up recipes but nothing really caught my eye, so I took a leap and tried making one up....
and you know what? It was perfect!!! The egg comes out creamy and decadent with the mozzarella cheese and the kale giving it a nice earthy flavor. Kale seems to be the green of the moment these days, and no wonder because it's super good for you! I use it in my green morning juice so I always seem to have it on hand.
The yellow peppers are a bit sweeter to me, you could of course do any colored pepper, the flavor will just change a little.
This recipe is for one Quiche cup, and being I am kid-less this week, that's fine for me. So you can double, triple, whatever you need for this recipe based on how many of these lovelies you need to make! One was the perfect serving for me on a sunny afternoon in my garden, no yelling kids, no "I won't eat Peppers" a perfect lunch just for me! Jealous? That's ok I get it... ;)
Kale and Mozzarella Quiche in a Yellow Pepper Cup
1 Yellow Pepper-top cut off and inside (seeds and such) taken out)
2 eggs (Pasture raised are best ;) )
1/2 cup of Half and Half
1 hand full of baby kale, or spinach or full kale about maybe 3 leaves
1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella (fresh mozzarella is preferred)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp onion powder 1 tsp paprika

Pre-Heat your oven to 350
-In a saucepan bring a pot of salted water to a boil and put in your kale or greens of choice. Use a wire strainer to hold them down and cook for 3 mins.
-In a separate bowl whisk your eggs and half and half. Add the spices, and then mix in the cheese.
-Drain the Kale (or greens) with the strainer and push extra water out (turning them onto a paper towel helps you can get the remainder of the excess water out) Chop the kale into smaller bit sized pieces and let cool sightly.
-Put the Pepper in a glass pie pan or baking pan.
-Add Kale to the egg mix and spoon into the Pepper
*If the pepper will not sit flat you can make a level cut on the bottom to help it, just be careful not to cut a hole in the pepper or the egg will run out ;)
Bake in the oven for about 40-55 mins. Check it at 40 and if the egg inside is still jiggly check at 5 min times until it is set and has a jello like feel if you touch the top (a little soft but not totally squishy)
-Let it sit for 5mins or so, plate and serve!
I like to add a little extra sprinkle of paprika and chives! Yum!!
-

No comments:

Post a Comment