517879_All New Spider-Man X-celeRacers Sneakers!

Blog Archive

Shop Barefoot Dreams at PerriBerri

Books I am reading

BlogUpp!

Generic Seeds- Garden Seeds Starting at $1.39
Privacy Policy . Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Zucchini Fritters (grain free!!)

So it's been awhile! I haven't bogged in ages, no real reason why (mostly time) and I guess lack of being inspired. This week however is Spring Break  and I have been trying a few new recipes to the rotation!!!
One of the big things I am trying out is more veggie centered recipes, we aren't bad about eating our veggies but more in your diet does not hurt. :)
I came across this one on Pinterest and could not resist trying it. I had it planned, had to wait for Wednesday!! The day my husband has school (he is sooooo not a big veggie fan) and I can be a bit more adventurous!!
So I found this yummy looking recipe over at Slim Plate.
However I ran across a little problem, I was out of olive oi (crud!). What's a girl to do!?
Well of course my good friend Bacon is in the fridge just begging me to use it! Hmmm...bacon grease would do the trick right!? Also bacon would be a great side to these guys, and a bargaining chip with my kids to get them to try it!! Like me they will do almost anything for bacon-lol. I also added a little carrot to the recipe to spark up the color and add another level of veggie to the recipe! We called them bunny cakes (with Easter this week that seemed appropriate!) I don't know if the bunnies would like the bacon, but whatever.
I'm thinking this is a must save for summer when Zucchini is coming out of our ears! I won't have to buy meat for one dinner that week if need be! (I would omit the bacon then, I know that sounds crazy but it would be a cheap meal!!)

As you can see the kids did eat them! Even my littlest one!!
Sometimes I don't give them enough credit, my kids are awesome at trying things! I know a lot of friends tell me there is no way their kids will eat half the things we do. There is a trick that work for us when they are a bit resistant: toppings!! Kids and toppings (or dips) seem to be a must! I love sour cream (the kids not as much) My oldest liked bbq sauce on his (but then he's in a put bbq sauce on almost everything phase!)
Kate and Will (my younger ones) liked marinara sauce on them.
One major note: with bacon grease I would keep a closer eye on the fritters as they are likely to fry/burn faster (we had a majority of overly crispy-not an all bad thing but golden brown is a little bit better tasting than burnt!) The original recipe says 2-3 min I would say 2 and check them...a lot.
Also
Enjoy!!


Ingredients
  • 2 medium zucchini 

  • 1 medium carrot
  • 1 tbs onion powder
  • ¼ cup almond flour
  • ¼ cup  fresh grated Parmesan cheese (fresh grated is best!!
  • 2 eggs
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • oil for frying (I used bacon from 8 strips that I fried up first, you could use tablespoons of walnut oil. Avocado oil or coconut oil would work great too)
Instructions
  1. Grate zucchini with a medium sized grater or use your food processor! Follow with the carrot.
  2. Add salt and place shredded zucchini in a clean dishtowel and squeeze to get as much liquid out of it as possible. (It doesn't have to be perfect but do try to get as much as you can) If you want to let the kids help this is a great step for helping!!
  3. Once squeezed place back in bowl and add beaten eggs, onion powder, almond flour, parmesan, black pepper and mix thorougly.
  4. Fry up your bacon (remove and set aside) and keep your grease hot. 
  5. Add spoonfuls of mixture in hot oil and fry until golden brown on each side. About 2-3 minutes per side.
  6. Place on platter lined with paper towels to soak up any grease that sticks to the fritter.

No comments:

Post a Comment