517879_All New Spider-Man X-celeRacers Sneakers!

Blog Archive

Shop Barefoot Dreams at PerriBerri

Books I am reading

BlogUpp!

Generic Seeds- Garden Seeds Starting at $1.39
Privacy Policy . Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Where do you buy your groceries!?

A Friend of mine posted this on Facebook, it has to be my favorite quote. 
Shortly after I read this I read an article about where different states rank as far as eating local. My state-Illinois-is currently 39 out of 50 states. Which makes me wonder, where does everyone shop? For me it's all depending on time, and how badly I need something. My top three choices lately have been: Woodmans (across the boarder in Wisconsin- If you have never been to a Woodmans, you have no idea what you are missing!) Mariano's a newer chain in Illinois but is owned by Roundys in Wisconsin. Lastly would be the Grayslake Farmer's Market. Right now in last place of the three only because the produce is limited, and while I do try to eat in season as much as I can, I do need some fruit and veggies that they don't have for the kids. I am super excited to get local meat again from Farmer Nick's at the Farmers market, his prices are pretty competitive and match or are better than most of the store bought organic meat. 
That said if I find a good sale, such as grass feed ground beef at Marianos (on sale for $4.99 a lb till April 17th!!) I am not going to pass that up. The article is right here if you are wanting to know where your state ranks. Once summer gets here I am looking forward to a lot more eating local!! 
It's not easy to eat local in Illinois year round, but I know there are at least two things next year I need to try to do better. 
1- Join a Winter meat CSA
2- Try and freeze a lot of my own veggies this summer for dinners
What other ideas do you have!? What do you do to eat local!? I'd love to hear your ideas in the comments below!!

1 comment: